Friday, January 10, 2014

Multitasking, A Crappy Blog Post, And My Weirdness Coming Out. You're Welcome.

I suck, I know. I said I was going to post about PLL and RWood yesterday and then I went MIA for the entire day.
Well, I woke up late. Ugh.
Then I had to go to work for the first time in a week and do actual work. Ugh.
So, no post yesterday. I've also decided to hold my PLL and RWood post until next Wednesday, after I watch the 2 new episodes next Tuesday.

Instead I want to ramble a bit about something that has been on my mind this week while I was snowed in and getting cabin fever..

Multitasking.

Not only am I guilty of it, I also think I'm pretty damn good at it. It started in high school. I was involved in a bunch of clubs and activities and shit and I was a teenager, so I knew everything and my parents knew nothing and I didn't need any help with anything. So probably around Junior Year I started multitasking the hell out of things and I got good at it.
The problem is that the older I got, the better I got at multitasking. However I tended to pick and choose which things were going to get more focus than others. Sometimes my picking and choosing was... misguided. I think I just heard my parents laugh out loud. Anyway, I love multitasking and I think that sometimes its the way to go and I'm not planning on cutting it out completely.

Now that I've gone through all of that, let's talk about what I've started hating about my multitasking habits...

>> When I watch a movie or a TV show I'm always on my computer working on something or browsing blogs or writing a blog post. Or I'm on my phone on Twitter and Instagram, probably Pinterest too. So I'm never giving my full attention to the movie or TV show I'm watching. Which is fine when it's the 739th rerun of CSI that I've seen 738 times, but it's sort of distracting when it's an episode of something that I've never seen before. Am I really enjoying it?
>> I get my emails and tweets and alerts pushed to my phone. So while I'm at work anytime I see my phone light up, I open that tab up on my computer. Without fail, every time, I've wasted 15 minutes. Isn't there a better way to handle that?
>> I never feel like I can enjoy watching 3 hours of Netflix because I'm constantly feeling like there's something else I could be doing. Which is usually why I only watch Netflix when I can watch it AND work on something else at the same time.
>> I've started noticing lately that when I only give something 70% of myself, then it's going to be about C- good. If I put 100% of myself into something, then it might be A+ worthy and who doesn't like an A+?


OR.. Here's a funny story..
I started this post at 7:30am this morning and it's 10:45am now and I'm just now getting back to it because I got distracted. So, I can't think of a better example for why I need to address (my moms favorite phrase) my multitasking addiction.

So here's what I'm thinking..
>> Spending more time "unplugged".
>> Addressing my procrastination problem.
>> Make a To Do List every night before bed for the following day.
>> Schedule time to do things I enjoy without feeling like I'm wasting valuable time.

I'm not sure what other methods I should attempt. There's always room for improvement. I also would appreciate advice from any of you peeps out there. I'm a work in progress and perfection is unattainable.

So because this post was some awful, terrible, no good, crap... Here are some photos of me sitting at my desk RIGHT NOW.
Literally just turned on my web cam to get these pictures for you.
I'm so weird. I apologize profusely.


UPDATE:
I just remember that it's #backthatazzup Friday with Whit.
This is the only thing I've been listening to lately, because I'm weird.
We've established this.


9 comments:

  1. I love to read but then get distracted with e-mail, posts, instagram etc. So here is what I have been doing.by my i-pad. I must read a chapter of my book then I am allowed a 10 minutes ipad break. And yes I use the timer! Since doing it... I've reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm dying haha. you're too funny girl. i suck at getting distracted too. as in it's 10:45 am and I've yet to finish one work task... and i'm at the office. whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens way too often to me too. I was writing my post last night and got distracted with twitter and instagram that like 2 hours passed before I got to my post title. So bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha i have two monitors at work so it is extra easy to multitask!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the reason I can't watch movies, I miss a huge plot line while I'm checking instagram or flipping laundry or trying to be more productive than just SITTING. Something to work on ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your scarf. Your post did remind me that I COULD be multitasking right now (I'm reading blogs and went to grab my knitting) so thank you for that. Turn off the notifications on your phone. Remind yourself that if you don't fully catch up with your Twitter feed IT'S OKAY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't think that was a crap post at all! I have the same issue. I am constantly trying to do about 3 or 4 things at one time. You'll have to let me know how your to do list at night works, it sounds like a pretty good plan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get distracted by other things allllll the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Multitasking can be a useful tool to have but as you mentioned it can also be a hindrance. Kind of like too much of a good thing is a bad thing? On the flip side though is not multitasking enough. I would blog a lot more if I didn't devote all of my attention to one thing, like watching TV. Thankfully tonight I am putting my multitasking skills to good use!

    ReplyDelete

I love you people! Let's be friends.

Like This Post? Then You Might Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...